Date: 1/11/21 5:51 pm
From: Jay V Huner <jay.huner1...>
Subject: [labird] Advice about the Kincaid Lake Red-necked Grebe
So far, the bird has been seen by me on 1/7, Charlie Lyon, Marybeth Lima, Lynn Hathaway, and me on 1/9, Andrew From on 1/10, and Marky Birdgirl on 1/11. I found the bird right next to the dam near its west end. Weather was terrible. Birds were hugging the lea behind the point next to the west end of the dam. Everyone else saw the bird way the heck out there around the vicinity of a couple of decoy spreads, as best I know. It's been seen in early morning, mid-day, and late afternoon.

The best views of the bird when it was way the heck out there has been on the east side of the spillway. It likely could have been seen from the west side of the spillway itself.

In any event, HOW DO YOU GET THERE? The most convenient access is to park in the parking lot at Tunk's Cypress Inn which is at the end of Kincaid Drive (maybe name is E. Kincaid) off LA 28 W about 12 miles west of Alexandria. Then you have to hoof it about 0.8 mile east to the spillway, crossing an emergency spillway and walking up and over the hill to the dam.

I wasn't clear to Ms. Marky about access to the east end of the dam. So, she went hither and thither but thanks to internet maps got there. The best access is off Messina Road walking along the dirt access road to the dam. Messina Road intersects LA 28 W about 11 miles from Alexandria. Coming from Alexandria, you go left on Messina and proceed about a mile to a small bridge that crosses the drainage channel from the Kincaid Dam spillway/drain system. You can see where people, mostly fishers park. You walk down the dirt road to the dam around 0.3 mile.

There is a reasonable number of Horned Grebes and a few Eared Grebes in the area. So, you have to look for anything that looks like a small grebe. Again, with the exception when I found the RNGR, the bird is way the heck out there. If it weren't for Charlie Lyon's persistence and scope, we wouldn't have found it on Saturday.

Good luck, Jay Huner