Date: 1/11/21 1:59 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Ipswich Savannah Sparrow? I believe
Yes.  This is an "Ipswich Sparrow".  A subspecies or race of the
Savannah Sparrow.  They have a restricted breeding range where they nest
ONLY on Sable Island, Nova Scotia; however, I believe they breed with
regular Savannah Sparrows on the mainland in Nova Scotia creating
intergrades.

They are regular in fall migration and  more rarely in mid-winter along
the NH Seacoast.  They are most often found along the immediate
shoreline east of Rt. 1A.

They are identified by their overall pale frosty appearance as compared
to the "regular" Savannah Sparrow.

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA