Date: 1/11/21 12:53 pm
Subject: Mayo River CBC results
The 9th Rockingham Count Christmas Bird Count was held on Wednesday
December 23, 2020, with temperatures ranging from 26-44 under clear skies,
no precipitation and no wind.

7 observers in 5 parties tallied 77 species (average 76). We tallied our
second highest 2,436 total birds (average 3,547) led by 177 European
Starling, 167 Canada Goose and 132 Blue Jay.

Rarities include our second Evening Grosbeak along the Mayo Mountain Loop
trail; our 3rd Bufflehead in a pond of Ledbetter Road; 3rd Palm Warbler
around the landfill/airport section; and then a slough of 4th record Ruddy
Duck, Bald Eagle (on a new nest) and Red-headed Woodpecker.

Misses include Northern Harrier, both Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawk,
Blue-headed Vireo, Cedar Waxwing, Red-winged and Rusty Blackbird and Purple
Finch.

Thank you all so much for your help! GREAT JOB!!! Our continuing goal is
to break 80 species…not bad for a foothills count!

Mark your calendars

Rockingham County Spring Bird Count April 30, 2021

Rockingham County Fall Count Sep. 20, 2021

Rockingham County Christmas Bird Count December 23, 2021

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!