Date: 1/11/21 12:52 pm
Subject: Pilot Mountain CBC results
The 6th Pilot Mountain Christmas Bird Count was held on Monday December 21,
2020. 15 counters in 7 parties counted under clear skies, no precip, light
winds, temperatures ranging from 38-55 degrees.

We tallied a record breaking 73 species, besting our first year total of 71
(six year average 68) we tallied 2,898 total birds led once again by 409
European Starlings, 279 Dark-eyed Junco, 173 Eastern Bluebirds and 150
White-throated Sparrow.

On the rare list, our 2nd count record for Northern Pintail was a single
male with two American Black Duck (3rd record) on the Yadkin River midday;
our 2nd Red-breasted Merganser was reported from the Ararat lower section;
our 2nd Red-headed Woodpecker was along the Yadkin lingering in the
floodplain; our 2nd Fish Crow was found in the corridor section.

3rd count record Northern Harrier over the Yadkin at dusk; 3rd Ring-billed
Gull over the Yadkin at dawn; and our 3rd House Wren which hopefully will
be more annual.

Misses include Hooded Merganser, which have been scarce over much of the
piedmont this season need more freezing ponds north of us; Wild Turkey must
have been flocked somewhere; Bald Eagle was missed for the first time on
the count; Fox Sparrow which have also been scarce, need snow on ground
north of us; Rusty Blackbird, Brown-headed Cowbird and Pine Siskin who must
have overshot the upper piedmont like the evening grosbeaks did.

There are a few species missed on all 6 counts that will be our goal to add
next year: Pied-billed Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant, American Pipit and
Palm Warbler.

Thank you all so much for your help! GREAT JOB!!!

Mark your calendars for

Pilot Mountain Spring Bird Count – May 4, 2021 *tentative*

Pilot Mountain Christmas Bird Count – Dec 14, 2021 *tentative*

--
Brian Bockhahn
<birdranger248...>

Join us on Facebook!