Date: 1/11/21 2:55 am
Subject: Re: 2020 Big Years in NC
What a year it was! Started off real slow with birds hard to find then the
pandemic hit us and thing almost came to a stop. But, by the middle of the
year birding started to get real interesting. The last half of the year
was a gift of a lifetime. More rare birds came our way and stayed in
place. I don’t think anyone can remember a better birding year than last
year. If anyone was hoping to find lots of birds 2020 was the year.

In one respect birding has become a lot easier with instant notifications
of sightings. Today’s birder will be chasing other people’s finds. Years
ago someone chasing large numbers had to find each species themselves. On
the other hand probably a lot more birds and habitats back then too.

If you took advantage of last years gift of so many wonderful species
visiting us you were no doubt rewarded with a lot of new lifers! Thanks
for the kind words Harry and Sherry. As I have often said I am not the
best birder by far. I am always amazed at the talent and skills of
birders that I run into. I have been birding seven years now and still
consider myself a fairly new birder.

I will upload my list as soon as I can find time and figure out how to do
it. I was only able to get about 95 percent photos of each species seen.
By the way almost 34,000 miles driven, 13 pelagic trips, more than 4,000
photos uploaded, more than 700 list submitted and around 150 audio
recordings uploaded. Still have thousands of photos to go through. My
advice to anyone thinking about doing a “Big Year”. Don’t !!!

Join us on Facebook!