Date: 1/10/21 9:42 pm
From: Michelle Nelson <mmnelson57...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] chasing rarities 1/10
I went up to Geng Road for a second time today to look for the Summer
Tanager and Tropical Kingbird. I didn't have any luck. Apparently, I missed
the Tanager by about 10-15 minutes.
I did see a Yellowlegs in the pond, but I don't know if it was the Lesser.
I will post a picture on the Facebook page tomorrow and ask.
At the Baylands, I missed a fight between a Peregrine Falcon and Northern
Harrier.
As with Geng Road, I was about 10-15 minutes too late. The Peregrine Falcon
was still hanging around, but there was no sign of the Harrier.
I did see 3 Black-necked Stilts, which is better than zero, but I was
surprised I didn't see more.
Although my sightings were limited to "the usual suspects," it was a great
day to be outside and escape reality for just a while.

Michelle

On Sun, Jan 10, 2021, 6:30 PM Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui=
<mac.com...> wrote:

> I spent a couple of hours today out enjoying being outside and chasing a
> few of the celebrity birds we have right now. I did (on the fourth try)
> find the Tropical Kingbird in the tree by the pond at Geng Road, but the
> Summer Tanager continues to hide (HOW HARD CAN A BRIGHT RED BIRD BE?). San
> Franciquito creek held canvasbacks, green-winged teals and shovelers
>
> Some time at Baylands had a big raptor on a distant power tower that I
> really, really wanted to be a golden eagle, but I finally called it
> re-tailed because I couldn't convince myself it wasn't. it was at far scope
> visibility with shimmer in the scope, and I just couldn't convince myself
> -- but in size comparison to the tower, it sure seemed eagle sized (but
> red-tails get large and at that distance... judging size will make you cry)
>
> Entering Baylands I saw a fun thing: a Cooper's Hawk was sitting on a
> lightpole, and a crow came in and flushed it off, than sat on the pole and
> declared victory as it retreated.
>
> scoping the wetlands near the wind surfing dock I found a long-billed
> curlew and a greater yellowlegs. the duck pond held ducks, some gulls (no
> Bonaparte's) and a Greater Scaup.
>
> Interestingly, I saw a total of zero black-necked stilts at Baylands
> today, I think a first.
>
> I headed over to Lick Mill Park (which somehow I've never walked through
> before) and missed on the Hermit Warbler, but did find my first 2021 Ruby
> Crowned Kinglet.
>
> Friday I headed over to the Bubb Road ponds and picked up my first 2021
> Ring-Necked Ducks and Hooded Mergansers, including a gorgeous male. Also
> many quite loud Canada Geese and buffleheads.
>
> Nice day out, lots of good, one of the three celebrities (but not a county
> life bird) and a nice walk...
>

> ---------------------------------------
>
> Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuq.me
> Email: <chuqui...>