Date: 1/10/21 9:41 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Future of Lott Farm & Basin Upland Sandpipers?
I don’t think I am the best person to organize or make contact. I think there are people who can speak well about conservation and agriculture and programs as well as what birders or bird clubs or other organizations might offer.

What I think would be good to cover would include:
* How very grateful we are that the Lotts have for years managed the land in a way that let grassland birds, particularly Upland Sandpipers breed there, the only remaining place in our area.
* How very grateful we are that the Lotts have allowed birders onto their property to see and hear and observe the many kinds of birds including the Upland Sandpipers, but also Snowy Owls, Horned Larks, Eastern Meadowlarks, Bobolinks, Savannah Sparrows, and even sometimes Grasshopper Sparrows, American Kestrels...
* If there is any way we can help the Lotts to continue to keep grassland habitat and the birds that use it, despite the loss of the Empire State Farm Days, we would like to try.

The land is theirs and I assume that, unless they already have some conservation easement or funding, they could dig it up tomorrow and we must respect that. It’s literally their business, not ours, and even asking about their plans, let alone trying to influence them, might be offensive, so I’m not sure how to even broach the subject, but I feel there are people among us who could do this well.

I don’t know what we can offer financially, either as organizations or as individuals, such as a small entrance fee or membership, but I think birders should consider this.

Of course what also would have to happen is an assessment of what the shared sentiments of birders are. Maybe I’m making assumptions that are not valid.

Thank you, everyone who has contributed to this.

- - Dave Nutter

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/