Date: 1/10/21 6:30 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] chasing rarities 1/10
I spent a couple of hours today out enjoying being outside and chasing a few of the celebrity birds we have right now. I did (on the fourth try) find the Tropical Kingbird in the tree by the pond at Geng Road, but the Summer Tanager continues to hide (HOW HARD CAN A BRIGHT RED BIRD BE?). San Franciquito creek held canvasbacks, green-winged teals and shovelers

Some time at Baylands had a big raptor on a distant power tower that I really, really wanted to be a golden eagle, but I finally called it re-tailed because I couldn't convince myself it wasn't. it was at far scope visibility with shimmer in the scope, and I just couldn't convince myself -- but in size comparison to the tower, it sure seemed eagle sized (but red-tails get large and at that distance... judging size will make you cry)

Entering Baylands I saw a fun thing: a Cooper's Hawk was sitting on a lightpole, and a crow came in and flushed it off, than sat on the pole and declared victory as it retreated.

scoping the wetlands near the wind surfing dock I found a long-billed curlew and a greater yellowlegs. the duck pond held ducks, some gulls (no Bonaparte's) and a Greater Scaup.

Interestingly, I saw a total of zero black-necked stilts at Baylands today, I think a first.

I headed over to Lick Mill Park (which somehow I've never walked through before) and missed on the Hermit Warbler, but did find my first 2021 Ruby Crowned Kinglet.

Friday I headed over to the Bubb Road ponds and picked up my first 2021 Ring-Necked Ducks and Hooded Mergansers, including a gorgeous male. Also many quite loud Canada Geese and buffleheads.

Nice day out, lots of good, one of the three celebrities (but not a county life bird) and a nice walk...

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuq.me
Email: <chuqui...>
Twitter: @chuq