Date: 1/10/21 4:44 pm
From: Leslie Flint <lflint...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Ano Nuevo Christmas Bird Count results
Hi all,

I wanted to get out some info on how we did for the Ano Nuevo Count this year. It was particularly challenging, not only because of COVID restrictions, but also because 4 of our parks were closed because of the CZU fire. Of those, we got restricted access to Butano, where we were allowed 2 people to count on the main road only, and at Memorial, one person to hike one trail. In addition, several of the properties on the east side of Hwy 1 from White House Creek Road to Ano Nuevo suffered burn all the way up and over the ridgeline and could not be counted because of the ash and concern about debris flow.

We had 60 people counting in smaller groups than usual; only 3 teams had 3 people, the rest were 1 or 2 people. AND it rained! Some of us on the coast got sprinkled on but those at higher elevations got rain most of the day. My thanks go out to all of your who participated and stuck it out!

Still I think we did really well with 155 species seen on count day and 6 more during count week. Kent Forward already reported on his day in Pescadero town where they had to check the calendar to be sure it wasn’t really summer when they had Black-headed Grosbeak and Wilson’s Warbler! Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were seen by both the Stage and Pescadero Road teams. The Pescadero Marsh team were happy the Eurasian Wigeon and Bald Eagle made an appearance, but unhappy that yet again peeps are missing from the marsh. Judy Spitler found a Mockingbird in the Bolsa area - I know that doesn’t seem like a big deal, but Mockingbird is virtually absent from this count now. The sea watch was tough with the rain and high surf but Fulmar’s were out there as were a few “dark shearwaters” (Sooty was identifiable). I am happy that a total of 72 Snowy Plovers were found at 3 separate beaches.

I’m hoping that some of the rest of the participants can share their experiences for this day. Again thank you everyone!

Leslie Flint
San Mateo
CBC Coordinator

Al DeMartini