Date: 1/10/21 4:41 pm
Subject: 2020 Big Years in NC
We all noted that a few birders were doing Big Years in NC (and maybe also
in SC) last year, based on several comments and also from the numerous
times Person X was jumping across the state chasing rarities! However, no
one has stepped forward to say anything yet about their final tallies and
exploits, at least on this listserve -- nor on ABA Listing Central or on
the CBC HomePage (more about that in a moment). So, I wondered -- where
might I or we find these totals of 2020?

So, I queried eBird, under theTop 100 tab. I clicked North Carolina and
2020, and was able to get the # of species many of us tallied on our eBird
lists in NC in 2020. For me and many others, that would not represent our
FULL totals, as I'm sure some of us saw some additional species we didn't
bother making out an eBird list for. But, for folks PURPOSEFULLY doing a
Big Year, I assume they wanted to use eBird to tally their lists.

Now, for the good stuff. Prior to 2020, the highest Big Years seem to be a
tie between Jamie Adams (2018) and Derb Carter (2008) -- *351 *species.
Their totals AND full species lists are found on the Carolina Bird Club
home page; go to the green *Features* tab, scroll all the way to the
bottom, and click on *More articles and reports* .... There, click on *State
Big Years in the Carolinas*, and then *North Carolina*, to see the only two
people who have placed their lists for public viewing (nobody in SC yet).
Note also that they gave the dates when each species was first seen.

As for 2020: Here are the Top 3 lists on eBird:

*Steven Howell 359* !! A new record by a whopping 8 species. Congrats!
David Fischer 340
Ed Corey 330

Some of you, at least Steven, might want to put your complete list on the
CBC website (email Kent Fiala, the CBC webmaster about that), so we can see
what species you got and what you might have missed (though misses can be
hard to spot if the list is indeed in chronological order from Jan. 1 to
Dec. 31.)

At any rate, Steven saw 359 of the approximately:
471 Definitive
12 Provisional
6? new in 2020
489 total species -- about 73% of the total NC species in one calendar
year!

Good luck to you folks trying a Big Year in 2021! It's gonna take 360 or
more to get a new record!

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

P.S. I would NEVER even consider doing a Big Year! After the first
"rarity chase" miss in January, I would quit!

Join us on Facebook!