Date: 1/10/21 3:45 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Blue Haven Road and Paton's birding
External Email

Hi Birders: On this beautiful day; ( well, at least by mid morning when it warmed up ), the birding was pretty good, especially along Blue Haven Road located " downsteam " from Tucson Audubon's Centre for Hummingbirds in Patagonia. About three tenths of a mile down before you get to the cut bank, where Patagonia Creek meets the road, Louie Dombroski, the resident birder at Paton's, and I found 7 Purple Finch feeding on what looks like Ash seed pods. It looked like 3 of them were males. Just past the cut bank, feeding on Hackberries, we were treated to great looks at at least 3 Rufous backed Robins. They flew back and forth across the road, so it was possible to get decent lighting for birders who are also photographers. There are also a few American Robins mixed in with them.
Back at Paton's, which is still closed due to Covid concerns, there were 3 American Goldfinch coming into the feeders. For out of town/state birders, at least two Violet crowned Hummingbirds are coming into the feeders, most of which are located close to the road, and, therefore, visible from the road. Anna's and Broad billed Hummingbirds are also around. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson
Tucson Audubon Volunteer
Green Valley