Date: 1/10/21 3:14 pm
From: Sara Zagorski via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Litchfield County Big Year 2020
Congratulations to Nic, what a great story! You got to see some excellent birds and enjoyed the journey. Well done!

Last year was a terrible year on many levels but it was a terrific year for birding in CT. In addition to Nic’s achievement, a few other people I am aware of also did well.

The find of the first CT record of Townsend’s Warbler by long-time CT birder Paul Desjardins was a thrilling experience for many in the state. John Oshlick had a trifecta in a short time period, finding a Townsend’s Warbler, Bell’s Vireo, and a Western Kingbird. Frank Mantlik found a Pacific Golden-plover, a CT first record.

Patrick Dugan hit a new record of birds in Stamford with a new high count of 253. Phil Rusch did a Windham County big year with 230 birds. I guess the Quiet Corner is not so quiet after all!

Russ Smiley and Frank Mantlik hit the 300 mark for CT year birds, and Dave Provencher had 302. Congratulations!

These are just some examples from a very eventful year. We shall see what this year brings for many of us. The best part of birding is that each person can decide on how little or how much time they want to spend doing it, while finding solace and relaxation in watching birds.

I encourage all CT birders to assist with the compilation of data for the CT Bird Atlas. The late winter survey is going on in January and February. Please consider doing a one hour survey in the blocks that have been selected for special attention, or in an area near your home. Information can be found at the CT Bird Atlas site, www.ctbirdatlas.org. Enjoy new places or visit old favorites but please share your findings with the atlas project. If you use eBird you can share your list with ctbirdatlas.

Good birding!

Sara Zagorski
Wethersfield

Sent from my iPhone