Date: 1/10/21 1:30 pm
From: Brooke Miller via groups.io <idbirds...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Possible Western Kingbird at Geng Road
Luca,

Tropical Kingbird has a long, thick bill, and the yellow on its underside is brighter and goes further up the breast. In wintertime here, seeing a Western Kingbird would be much more unlikely than finding a Tropical Kingbird. I believe this is because Western Kingbirds spend our wintertime further south in the southern hemisphere, whereas Tropicals can be found year around in parts of Mexico. I think in the last few to several years we have had one to two Tropical Kingbirds found in winter in and around that area of Palo Alto.

You can find much more information from bird field guides, or online at allaboutbirds.org <http://allaboutbirds.org/>.

Congratulations on your 100th bird!

Brooke Miller

> On Jan 10, 2021, at 1:02 PM, Luca <luucaa...> wrote:
>
> Thanks, your help for the ID is much appreciated! How does one tell Western from Tropical?
>
> It's kind of fun that my bird #100 happens to be a rare bird.
>
> Luca
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2021 at 12:58 PM Brooke Miller <idbirds...> <mailto:<idbirds...>> wrote:
> Luca,
>
> That is a Tropical Kingbird that has been in the area for a while now (over a month, at least). Now that you have subscribed to South Bay Birds, you will be able to follow what birds people are seeings where. Welcome!
>
> Brooke Miller
>

>> On Jan 10, 2021, at 12:52 PM, Luca <luucaa...> <mailto:<luucaa...>> wrote:
>>
>> I saw what might be a Western Kingbird at Geng Road today, at 11:23am, on a tree next to the bathrooms. I include here some photos. I am a beginner birder (this would be my bird #100!), so I am not certain of the identification.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Luca
>>
>> <2021-01-10_11-15-18_P1100096.jpg>
>> <2021-01-10_11-24-03_P1100111.jpg>