Date: 1/10/21 8:45 am
From: Carol McCluskey <saltbird...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Hermit Thrush Ellacoya SP Gilford
I went hoping to spot the White-winged Crossbills reported yesterday, but didn’t see any today. I was very surprised to spot a Hermit Thrush as I pulled my car in to park near the road culvert. It may have been feeding in a multiflora rose bush at the culvert opening. I was able to watch it move about for a few minutes from a distance of about 12-15 feet before it flew to deeper cover. The photos I attempted are worthless unfortunately. There were also two groups of Common Goldeneye in the area, totaling 49 that I could count.

As noted in my prior email, I spotted 11 Pine Grosbeaks feeding in a crabapple at the Gilford Yacht Club entrance. They were not there as I passed by a little later. I also spotted a solitary Pine Grosbeak high in a deciduous tree in downtown Laconia. They are all around here it seems, but I haven’t seen an Evening Grosbeak yet this season.

Carol McCluskey
Gilmanton
Sent from my iPhone