Date: 1/10/21 7:38 am
From: Sharon Goldwasser <azfiddle...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]E. Tucson parks: Slate-colored Junco , continuing Hooded Merganser
External Email

Hi birders,

I stopped briefly at Jesse Owens park yesterday (apparently too late again for the Ruddy Ground Doves) and spotted a nice Slate-colored Junco in the flock hanging around the NW corner of the park, in the edge behind the houses. There are apparently some feeders in one yard and a fountain in adjacent yard but fences mostly block any views of them.

The Hooded Merganser is continuing at Agua Caliente. I had previously thought it was a female, but learned the eye, bill and head coloration point to immature drake. I didn’t see the Sage Thrasher, but understand it was seen earlier in the morning.

I guess I need to dress warmer and get outside earlier some days!

Sharon Goldwasser Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds