Date: 1/10/21 6:57 am
From: Mary Peterson <m_mpeterson...>
Subject: OKC Lakes on 1-9-2021

Hello All,
Mary and I took a ride down to Oklahoma City yesterday. It was partly cloudy and cool with light winds. I have rarely seen Lakes Hefner and Overholser as calm as they were for most of the day yesterday. We started at the grassy area on the NE corner of Lake Hefner. There were many ring-billed gulls and a few Herring gulls and Forster's terns on the grass and 3 common loons out on the lake. The next stop was Stars and Stripes on the SE corner of the lake. The long-tailed duck was found less than 100 feet from the flagpole. It quietly swam just out from the car. An inlet between there and the golf course had 13 great egrets sitting in the trees. The red-necked grebe was in a bay by the fishing dock with several pied-billed grebes. The bay west of Prairie Dog Point had a group of 4 eared grebes swimming near 20 or so horned grebes.
Next, we went down to Lake Overholser. The light winds continued, making it easy to see the thousands of birds on the lake. An adult lesser black-backed gull was seen circling on the water in the NE corner of the Lake. A red-throated loon was found swimming several hundred yards out from the police station. The mute swan was swimming in the shallow water below the dam. Finally, the 3 white-winged scoters were found close to shore about 200 yards south of the fishing dock on the SW side of the lake. It was mid-afternoon, so we headed back to Bartlesville.

Mark Peterson
Bartlesville

Join us on Facebook!