Date: 1/10/21 3:36 am
Subject: Trip Summary for January 9, 2021
Greetings all

First I want to say that on January 8, 2021 with a winter storm watch for the area I waited and watched with great anticipation for some Evening Grosbeaks to return to my feeders but sadly they didn’t.

I was hoping that they would as it was the Evening Grosbeaks that got me started in Birding back on February 11, 1979.

But on a high note my report for that day was my 6,000th Complete eBird Report submitted.

Yesterday my first birding excursion into NC for the year was to visit feeders. Yea sometimes it’s a must.

My first visit was to Vireo Lane in Orange Co to see the large number of Evening Grosbeaks and hopefully get some pictures of them that I was unable to do when I saw them in Durham Co back in December 2020.

Besides the Grosbeaks there was a larger number of Pine Siskins and a few Purple Finches. It was cold but it was worth it.

My next feeder visit was to see a Rufus Hummingbird for Durham Co and upon arriving at close to 1045 hrs it took nearly a 2.5 wait to finally see it for a minute before it flew back into the bush it came out of before my cold and stiff muscles could not get my camera up to take pictures.

At one time there was 5 of us there looking but one by one everyone else gave up and left me standing there all alone to see the hummingbird.

But I almost came close to missing it as well because just minutes earlier I checked the time and made up my mind that I would give it 20 more minutes and within 2 minutes it landed on a leafless small tree to the right of the feeder.

Sometimes you have to pay for what you want and cold stiff muscles and bones was worth seeing both species.

A summary of yesterday’s trip follows.

> jeffblalock
> eBird Checklist Summary for: to Jan 9, 2021 at 8:00 AM Jan 9, 2021 at 5:30 PM
>
> Number of Checklists: 7
> Number of Taxa: 52
>
> Checklists included in this summary:
> (1): 100 Vireo Ln, Hillsborough US-NC By Appointment Only
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 8:00 AM
> (2): 100 Vireo Ln, Hillsborough US-NC By Appointment Only
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 8:05 AM
> (3): Indian Trail Park
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 9:55 AM
> (4): Sprunt Ave, Durham US-NC Private by Appointment only
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 10:43 AM
> (5): Quail Roost
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 2:00 PM
> (6): Moores Mill Rd, Rougemont US-NC
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 2:30 PM
> (7): Lake Winds Golf Course, Rougemont US-NC
> Date: Jan 9, 2021 at 2:47 PM
>
> 60 Canada Goose -- (5)
> 4 Mute Swan -- (7)
> 2 Gadwall -- (7)
> 3 Mallard -- (7)
> 5 American Black Duck -- (5)
> 12 Ring-necked Duck -- (5),(7)
> 2 Bufflehead -- (7)
> 31 Hooded Merganser -- (5),(7)
> 9 Ruddy Duck -- (6),(7)
> 9 Mourning Dove -- (2),(3),(4)
> 1 Rufous Hummingbird -- (4)
> 1 Killdeer -- (6)
> 1 Ring-billed Gull -- (4)
> 5 Black Vulture -- (6)
> 7 Turkey Vulture -- (5),(6)
> 1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- (3)
> 1 Red-tailed Hawk -- (4)
> 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker -- (4)
> 2 Red-headed Woodpecker -- (2)
> 3 Red-bellied Woodpecker -- (2),(3),(4)
> 7 Downy Woodpecker (Eastern) -- (2),(3),(4)
> 1 Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) -- (3)
> 1 Pileated Woodpecker -- (2)
> 2 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) -- (3),(4)
> 11 Blue Jay -- (2),(3),(6)
> 33 American Crow -- (2),(4),(5),(6)
> 5 Carolina Chickadee -- (2),(4)
> 7 Tufted Titmouse -- (2),(3),(4)
> 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet -- (3)
> 3 Red-breasted Nuthatch -- (2),(3),(4)
> 1 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (4)
> 2 White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern) -- (2),(3)
> 4 Brown-headed Nuthatch -- (3),(4)
> 4 Carolina Wren -- (2),(3)
> 25 European Starling -- (6)
> 1 Brown Thrasher -- (4)
> 1 Northern Mockingbird -- (5)
> 2 Eastern Bluebird -- (4),(5)
> 2 Hermit Thrush -- (4)
> 35 American Robin -- (3),(4)
> 48 Evening Grosbeak -- (1),(2)
> 2 House Finch -- (4)
> 5 Purple Finch -- (2),(4)
> 40 Pine Siskin -- (2)
> 2 American Goldfinch -- (2),(3)
> 5 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) -- (2)
> 14 White-throated Sparrow -- (3),(4)
> 2 Song Sparrow -- (3),(4)
> 1 Eastern Towhee -- (4)
> 20 Red-winged Blackbird -- (3)
> 1 Pine Warbler -- (4)
> 5 Northern Cardinal -- (2),(4),(5)
>
> This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
> See eBird for more information.
>

> From my iPhone

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!