Date: 1/9/21 10:50 am
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: Greater Scaup
I'd agree with lesser. I have a hard time going by certain features
sometimes, especially in the field if I don't have good views or if I
got BAD pictures. The head color can be difficult to judge because of
lighting... even the peak, where it lies can trick a person as they can
kind of raise those feathers sometimes. But add to other thoughts the
bill...  The "nail" at the end of the bill... the dark patch. You can
only really see it in one of the pictures and it's VERY narrow. On a
greater scaup that would tend to be wider. The pictures someone
attached, you can only see the side of the bill but you can see the
difference in how much black is there.
As an added side note... this is sometimes one of those species that
frustrate me... why do we have to have some that are SO similar?  If one
of them just had a purple mohawk or something, it would be easier. :P

Daniel Mason

On 1/9/2021 11:35 AM, Delos McCauley wrote:
> Kenny Nichols agrees that it is not a Greater Scaup.  Sorry about that.
>
> Delos
>
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 11:03 AM Erin Sauer <erinsauer10...>
> <mailto:<erinsauer10...>> wrote:
>
> That looks like a Lesser Scaup to me. In the second picture, you
> can see the head peaks in the back where a Great Scaup should peak
> in the front and be more rounded overall.
>
> image.png
>
> On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 10:30 AM Delos McCauley
> <mccauleydelos...> <mailto:<mccauleydelos...>> wrote:
>
> Yesterday, I got photos of, what I believe is, a Greater
> Scaup. It was alone, no other scaups, at Hollawell Refuge, N
> 34.30930  W 091.63327.  Please look at the attached photos and
> let me know what you think.  The head and bill shape fits the
> description I find in Sibley.  These are all the photos I
> took.  Click on following link to see photos:
>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m18ib2IDZgRdcvNRZOVV4p7wvVr9vUiL?usp=sharing
> <https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m18ib2IDZgRdcvNRZOVV4p7wvVr9vUiL?usp=sharing>
>
> Delos McCauley
> Pine Bluff

> --
> Erin L. Sauer, Ph.D.
> Pronouns: she/they
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology
> University of Wisconsin - Madison
> <erinsauer10...>
> <mailto:<erinsauer10...>

or click the following link: