Date: 1/9/21 9:26 am
Subject: Re: Request for Photography Tips
That is a good rig for bird photography. I think you will be pleased.

I’m not a real photographer but I like it when my casual bird photographs look pleasing. So my tips would be

1) get close.
2) have the light coming from directly behind you. When you learn to shoot with your shadow extending directly toward the bird, you will be surprised at what a difference it makes.
3) shoot in morning light, that golden hour when the low light coming from behind you has some color to it. Right now, probably 7:30-9am. Earlier as the season progresses.

Rules are made to be broken, but those, in my opinion, are the basics. And I know you said flight photography too. I’m ignoring that part though the same three rules apply.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

> On Jan 9, 2021, at 11:49 AM, steve stevens <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside your organization. Exercise caution when opening attachments or clicking links, especially from unknown senders.
>
> Hello,
>
> After years of deal hunting I recently put together a camera setup that might be appropriate for birds/wildlife (canon 7d mark i, 100-400 lens) and was curious if anyone had any resources or guidance on how to best use these tools. I'm an absolute beginner (as all my blurry eBird photos show) but I'm particularly interested in trying to learn how to photograph waterbirds/birds in flight well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> steve
>
> Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!