Date: 1/8/21 4:40 pm
From: Allen Chartier <amazilia3...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Barn Owl story on channel 7
Jack,

I last saw that nesting pair of Barn Owls at Sterling State Park in 1981.
It was in an old silo that was torn down soon after that. If I remember
(lots of things have been reconfigured there) I think the location was
somewhere across the park road from the current park headquarters
buildings.

Al Maley (now living in New Hampshire and Spain), installed a nesting box
on a wooden pole in the marsh area that I think the birds may have used
once or twice, but by 1982 or 1983 they were no longer being seen.

Michigan has always been at the northern edge of the Barn Owl's range, and
it is sensitive to harsh, cold winters. Perhaps this is one of few species
that might temporarily benefit from a warming climate.

Allen T. Chartier
Inkster, Michigan
Email: <amazilia3...>
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mihummingbirdguy/collections/