Date: 1/8/21 4:28 pm
From: Eve Meier <eve.m.meier...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Coyote Valley, Greater White-fronted Goose at Shoreline, and a variety of salt ponds
Hi Everyone,

Today, I had a full day for birding so I decided to make the most of it! I
started off in Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve. The morning was sunny,
the grasses are turning green and the birds were singing! *Yellow-billed
Magpies* were calling back and forth from the Valley Oaks, *Western
Meadowlands *were singing from the grasses, and a noisy mixed flock of
hundreds of blackbirds were along Palm Ave. Many of them were *Tricolored
Blackbirds* which sound a bit like cats. Also spotted: 2 *Rock Wren*, 1
*Merlin*, 1 *Prairie Falcon*, and 3 *American Kestrels* (
https://ebird.org/checklist/S78879075).

Next, I moved on to Laguna Ave. I lingered for a while - it's the kind of
place where it's best to wait a while and see what happens. I scanned all
the geese but didn't find anything other than Canada Goose. Two *Loggerhead
Shrikes* were sitting on wires or fences. Small flocks of *American Pipits*
were in the fields and more *Yellow-billed Magpies* were in the oaks.
Eventually, I spotted a *Ferruginous Hawk* hunting south of the west end of
Laguna Ave. Views were distant (https://ebird.org/checklist/S78883516).

Next, I decided to head up to the Shoreline Kite Flying area and rode my
bike along my favorite route (basically following my self-guided trip to
Crittenden Marsh and Salt Pond A2E). One *Greater White-fronted Goose* was
mixed in with about 50 Canada Geese in the kite-flying area (
https://ebird.org/checklist/S78886924). From the bay trail, I scanned
Crittenden Marsh which has a bit of water in it and found lots of *Northern
Shovelers* and some *American Wigeons*, *Pintails* and *Green-winged Teals*
(https://ebird.org/checklist/S78887904). I continued on to a bench that I
like to sit at to scan Salt Pond A2E and found lots of *Redheads* and
sleeping Scaup. A couple of the birds were close enough and awake that I
could identify 2 *Greater Scaups* and 1 *Lesser Scaup* (
https://ebird.org/checklist/S78889696). I also checked the Salt Pond AB1,
the Stevens Creek Delta (birds too far out), and Salt Pond A2W which had
one *Black-bellied Plover* on the bank (nice close up views).

For more information on Coyote Valley Open Space Preserve and Laguna Ave,
see SCVAS's CVOSP self-guided trip
<https://scvas.org/self-guided-birding/coyote-valley-open-space-authority-in-fallwinter>
.
For more information on Shoreline Kite-Flying Area, Crittenden Marsh, and
Salt Pond A2E, see the Crittenden Marsh Salt Pond A2E self-guided trip
<https://scvas.org/self-guided-birding/bayfront-totally-terns-and-snowy-plovers-too-on-salt-pond-a2e-and-crittenden-marsh>.
It
covers the summer season, but the route is the same.

Happy Birding!
Eve Meier (San Jose)

View/Reply Online (#23428): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23428
-=-=-