Date: 1/8/21 12:25 pm
From: David Govatski <david.govatski...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Jefferson Birds
Our bird feeders at home in this northern White Mountain town of Jefferson continue to have 10-12 species per day. This is a list of what we saw for the hours we were home on Friday. Friends in the area with feeders also report good numbers of evening grosbeaks and a few redpolls.
8 Mourning Doves
2 Downy Woodpeckers
2 Hairy Woodpeckers
1 Pileated Woodpecker (heard only)
12 Blue Jays
35 Black-capped Chickadees
2 Red-breasted Nuthatches
68 Evening Grosbeaks (counted while perched in trees)
1 Pine Grosbeak (male)
3 Common Redpolls
2 American Goldfinch
7 American Tree Sparrows
The first redpolls at our feeders showed up on Thursday. The tree sparrows are increasing, probably as birds find a reliable source of food.

By contrast a three mile walk to Cherry Pond in Jefferson produced 1 ruffed grouse, 3 chickadees, 1 raven, and 1 downy woodpecker. There is little natural food around here except for black spruce and tamarack swamps that still have cones. We have only four inches of snow on the ground.

David Govatski
Jefferson, NH