Date: 1/8/21 12:01 pm
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Draft 2021 Basin First Records for review
Hi All,

I’ve been working on the 2021 Cayuga Basin First Records List. Below my signature is a draft of my notes for review. When Paul Anderson has time to make a new spreadsheet, I’ll fill it out, and he’ll put it on the Cayuga Bird Club website here:
http://www.cayugabirdclub.org/Resources/cayuga-lake-basin-first-records
where it will remain, accumulating species throughout 2021 as I learn about them and update it. But this initial large list is easier to edit before it’s put up, so please have a look, and if you see things that appear wrong or missing, please let me know.

Explanations:

The six-letter code for bird species, used in Bird Population Studies when I worked there, has this format according to the number of words in the common name: BUFFLEhead, GREater SCAup, Eastern Whip-Poor-WILl. To avoid ambiguity some words may be abbreviated differently: GRaY, GraY, graY; GReeN, GreeN, greeN; GReaT, GreaT, Great; BLacK, BlacK, blacK; BLUe, BlUe, blUe. Have fun deciphering. I find it easier than 4-letter codes.

Records are grouped first by date, so everything first found on New Year’s Day - currently the vast majority - is first. Species first found on subsequent days are all at the bottom.

Within each day, the species are in the taxonomic order used by eBird. This is different than the older order used by the National Audubon Society for Christmas Bird Counts on the spreadsheet which Paul recently shared for the Ithaca count.

For species which were widespread and found by multiple parties on the Christmas Bird Count, both the observer(s) and the locations(s) are listed as “Ithaca CBC”. Species which were found on the count by very few parties or in very few locations have the observers and locations listed.

When a new species is found multiple places on the same day, rather than sort out where it was found first, I try to list all the places and credit all the finders, because I think it’s interesting when when a bird species arrives overnight en masse.

My sources include eBird; the Ithaca Christmas Bird Count through Pauls’ spreadsheet, Area Leaders, and individual participants; and other birders who post to CayugaBirds-L, or text to the Cayuga Rare Bird Alert, or who contact me personally.

Locations do not include personal addresses but do include road names. Locations also include the township to disambiguate, for instance, the many Lake Roads.

Birds considered must be within the Cayuga Lake Basin as mapped in a 1926 botany book by Cornell professors Weigand and Eames. The area was adopted by Lab of O founder Arthur Allen as a reasonable convenient area in which to study a wide and representative array of birds. He also started the tradition of keeping an annual list of bird species found in the basin. The Basin, in its south half, as far north as the townships of Fayette and Scipio, is simply the land which drains to Cayuga Lake. However the north half of the Basin also includes lands which drain north and south into the Seneca River, Clyde River, and Erie/Barge Canal, with east and west limits along those waterways designed to include particularly interesting ecological and botanical areas, so it sweeps west just into Ontario County to include the Junius Ponds and east into the edge of Auburn and include Howland Island. The north edge appears ragged because the land is covered with north-south oriented drumlins which complicate the drainage. If you wonder whether a location is in the Basin, I can look it up.

W/ = west of

Questions? Feel free to ask.

- - Dave Nutter

2021 Basin First of Year Records DRAFT as of 0108

BIRDSP MMDD Observer(s) Location, incl Town

SNOGOO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
CACGOO 0101 Ken Rosenberg, Jay McGowan; Drew Weber Stewart Park, Ithaca; Chiropractic College, Seneca Falls
CANGOO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
MUTSWA 0101 Dave Kennedy; Drew Weber, Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks Cayuga L SP / Lower L Rd, Seneca Falls; Montezuma NWR VC, Tyre
TRUSWA 0101 Dave Kennedy; Wade & Melissa Rowley Montezuma NWR VC, Tyre; Carncross Rd, Savannah

TUNSWA 0101 Dave Kennedy; Janet Akin; Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito Montezuma NWR VC & NYS-89 overlook, Tyre; Cayuga L SP /Lower L Rd, Seneca Falls
WOODUC 0101 Dave Kennedy Oak I, Waterloo
GADWAL 0101 Dave Kennedy; Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito, Reuben Stoltzfus Cayuga L SP, Seneca Falls; Montezuma NWR VC, Tyre; CR-53, Sheldrake, Ovid
AMEWIG 0101 Josh Snodgrass; Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito SW Cayuga L, Ithaca; Montezuma NWR VC, Tyre
MALLAR 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

AMKDUC 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
NORPIN 0101 Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito Montezuma NWR VC, Tyre
GNWTEA 0101 Brandon Woo Gracie Pond, Lime Hollow, Cortlandville
CANVAS 0101 Dave Kennedy; Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito; Ken Rosenberg Cayuga L SP, Seneca Falls; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
REDHEA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

RINDUC 0101 Dave Kennedy; Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito Montezuma NWR VC, Tyre
GRESCA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
LESSCA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
WHWSCO 0101 Jay McGowan, Ken Rosenberg, Paul Rodewald, Bill Howe; Jane Graves, Alison Van Keuren Stewart Pk, Ithaca; Myers Pt, Lansing
BUFFLE 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

COMGOL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
HOOMER 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
COMMER 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
REBMER 0101 Judy Abrams Wyers Pt Rd, Sheldrake, Ovid
RUDDUC 0101 Dave Kennedy; Scott Sutcliffe et al, Jay McGowan, Ken Rosenberg, Josh Snodgrass Cayuga L SP, Seneca Falls; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca

RINPHE 0101 Les Preston East Rd, Tyre
RUFGRO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
WILTUR 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
PIBGRE 0101 Dave Kennedy; Scott Sutcliffe, Aaron Yappert et al, Josh Snodgrass, Ken Rosenberg, Jay McGowan, Bill Howe Oak I, Waterloo; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
ROCPIG 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

MOUDOV 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
AMECOO 0101 Dave Kennedy; Scott Sutcliffe, Aaron Yappert et al, Jay & Kevin McGowan, Ken Rosenberg, Paul Rodewald, Bill Howe, Edward Buckler, Holly Grant, Adriaan Dokter, Oliver Bracko, Paul & Tristan Herwood NYS-89 nr Schuyler Cr, Varick; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
SANCRA 0101 Drew Weber, Cullen Hanks, Ash Ferlito East Rd, Tyre; Armitage Rd, Savannah
RIBGUL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
HERGUL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

ICEGUL 0101 Dave Kennedy; Adriaan Dokter, France Kehas-Dewaghe, Ken Rosenberg, Jay McGowan Van Cleef L, Seneca Falls; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
LBBGUL 0101 Dave Kennedy; Adriaan Dokter, Reuben Stoltzfus, Ken Rosenberg, Jay McGowan Van Cleef L, Seneca Falls; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
GLAGUL 0101 Adriaan Dokter, France Kehas-Dewaghe, Jay McGowan, Ken Rosenberg S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
GBBGUL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
COMLOO 0101 Kevin & Jay McGowan, Ken Rosenberg, Bill Howe S end Cayuga L, Ithaca

DOCCOR 0101 Ken Rosenberg, Kevin & Jay McGowan, Josh Snodgrass, Adriaan Dokter, France Kehas-DeWaghe, Paul & Tristan Herwood, Holly Grant, Jane Graves S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
GTUHER 0101 Dave Kennedy, Janet Akin; Scott Sutcliffe, Aaron Yappert et al, Josh Snodgrass, Ken Rosenberg, Bill Howe, Adriaan Dokter, Julia Wang, Tom Auer Armitage Rd, Savannah; S end Cayuga L, Ithaca
TURVUL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
NORHAR 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
SHSHAW 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

COOHAW 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
BALEAG 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
RETHAW 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
ROLHAW 0101 Mark Chao, Bob Horne Ithaca Airport, Lansing
EASOWL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

GTHOWL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
SNOOWL 0101 Drew Weber Finger Lakes Regional Airport, Martin Rd, Seneca Falls
BRDOWL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
SHEOWL 0101 Reuben Stoltzfus; Wade & Melissa Rowley Rock River Rd, Ovid; Carncross Rd, Savannah
NSWOWL 0101 Ken Rosenberg; Ann Mitchell, Ken Kemphues Tareyton Pk & Bluegrass Ln, Ithaca; Caswell Rd, Dryden

BELKIN 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
YEBSAP 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
REBWOO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
DOWWOO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
HAIWOO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

PILWOO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
NORFLI 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
AMEKES 0101 Jay McGowan, Eduardo Inigo Elias; Marjolein Schat; Dave Kennedy; Janet Akin; Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks Stevenson Rd E end, Dryden; Ellis Hollow Rd, Ithaca; Leader & Seybolt Rds, Fayette; Armitage Rd, Savannah; Town Line Rd, Lodi/Covert
MERLIN 0101 Phil McNeil; Judy Jones; Drew Weber, Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks; Barb & Lynn Ferguson Rd, Dryden; Willets Pl, Ithaca; Lott Farm, Seneca Falls; North Hoster Rd, Fayette; Farron Rd, Seneca Falls
*GYRFAL 0101 Carol Keeler; Drew Weber, Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks N Hoster Rd, Fayette

PERFAL 0101 Dave Kennedy; Drew Weber, Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks Van Cleef L, Seneca Falls; Montezuma NWR VC, Seneca Falls
BLUJAY 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
AMECRO 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
FISCRO 0101 Ken Rosenberg; Patric Marr Community Gardens, Carpenter Circle, Ithaca; Cornell Compost, Stevenson Rd, Dryden
COMRAV 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

BKCCHI 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
TUFTIT 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
HORLAR 0101 Caroline Manring; Mary Jean & Phil Welser; Drew Weber, Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks Hayts Rd, Ithaca; DuBois Rd north of Perry City Rd, Ulysses; N Hoster Rd, Fayette; Finger Lakes Regional Airport, Seneca Falls
GOCKIN 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
RUCKIN 0101 Reuben Stoltzfus; Geo Kloppel Black Diamond Trail opp S end Cayuga L, Ithaca; south of confluence of Enfield Cr & Cayuga Inlet near RR bridge, Ithaca

REBNUT 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
WHBNUT 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
BRNCRE 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
WINWRE 0101 Adriaan Dokter; Eric Sibbald, Jeremy Collison; Bill Evans, Laura Heisy AHTremanSMP, Ithaca; Palmer Wds, Cornell U, Cayuga Hts, Ithaca; Larch Meadows, Lower Buttermilk Falls SP, Ithaca
MARWRE 0104 Steve & Linda Clark Benedict Guy Baldassarre Marsh, Van Dyne Spoor Rd, Savannah

CARWRE 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
EURSTA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
GRYCAT 0101 Susan Franklin east end of Gunderman Rd, Danby
NORMOC 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
EASBLU 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

HERTHR 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
AMEROB 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
CEDWAX 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
HOUSPA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
EVEGRO 0101 Michael Pitzrick; Patrick Marr, Jay McGowan Yellow Barn SF, Dryden; Park Preserve S, Dryden

HOUFIN 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
PURFIN 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
COMRED 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
Stevenson Rd, Dryden
REDCRO 0101 Bill Evans, Laura Heisy; Matt Medler; Brad Walker Larch Meadows, Buttermilk Falls SP, Ithaca; Hammond Hill SF, Dryden; Salem Dr area, Ithaca
WHWCRO 0101 Jeremy Collison Pleasant Grove Ln, Cayuga Hts, Ithaca

PINSIS 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
AMEGOL 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
SNOBUN 0101 Ithaca CBC; Drew Weber, Ash Ferlito, Cullen Hanks Ithaca CBC; N Hoster Rd, Fayette; Finger Lakes Regional Airport, Seneca Falls
AMTSPA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
DAEJUN 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

WHTSPA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
SONSPA 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC
SWASPA 0101 Eliot Miller; Sandy, Bill, & Lisa Podulka E/ Thomas Rd, Dryden/Caroline; RR grade north of Belle School Rd, Caroline
REWBLA 0101 Wade & Melissa Rowley; David Odell Carncross Rd, Savannah; Old Duck Inn, Tyre Rd, Galen
BNHCOW 0101 Jay McGowan; Holly Adams, Tom Hoebbel Stevenson Rd, Dryden; Burns Rd, Brooktondale, Caroline

NORCAR 0101 Ithaca CBC Ithaca CBC

BLKVUL 0102 Tristan Herwood CU Compost, Stevenson Rd, Dryden
WHCSPA 0102 Reuben Stoltzfus et al Leader Rd W/NYS-96 E/ Olschewske Rd, Fayette

NORSHR 0103 Eliot Miller Irish Settlement Rd opp Beam Hill Rd, Dryden

LOTDUC 0105 Dave Kennedy NYS-89 nr Schuyler Cr, Varick

HOARED 0106 Jay McGowan, Patrick Marr Game Farm, Dryden
COMGRA 0106 Jay McGowan Game Farm, Stevenson Rd, Dryden

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/