Date: 1/8/21 11:43 am
Subject: Raleigh CBC summary
The 84th Raleigh CBC was conducted on December 19, 2020. The day started
off chilly, with temperatures in the mid-20s in some spots, but warmed up
nicely under clear skies. It was a great day to be out birding. We had 72
participants in 32 parties, covering 153 party-miles (89 of them on foot)
during 137 party-hours. That’s about 50% more party-hours and 15% more
party-miles than we managed during 2019’s rainy morning count. That
increase in coverage, plus better weather, improved our results
dramatically. We ended the day with 103 species and 16,365 individuals.
Highlights of this year’s count were a single Red Crossbill and two Vesper
Sparrows. Also notable were 16 Northern Pintail. Overall, our waterfowl
count was a bit lower than usual, but many of our landbird counts were
substantially higher than last year. The five most common species on this
year’s count were White-throated Sparrow (1187), American Robin (1124),
Canada Goose (943), Double-crested Cormorant (921), and Ring-billed Gull
(759). We had a whopping 13 Gray Catbirds – possibly a count record – and
four Black-and-white Warblers, tying our count from 2019. As many of you
know, this has been a “superflight” year for Red-breasted Nuthatch and many
finches, and we had great counts of both Purple Finch and Pine Siskin, both
of which are easy to miss entirely during non-flight years. That king of
winter finches, the Evening Grosbeak, eluded us on count day this year –
but one was seen the following day at Shelley Lake, and so will make our
“count week” list for the first time since 1998.

The 85th Raleigh CBC will be held on Saturday, December 18, 2021.
Registration details will be available on the Wake Audubon site, or you can
contact me directly if you’d like to participate. Hope you all have a
happy, healthy and prosperous 2021! Good birding, Brian

Join us on Facebook!