Date: 1/7/21 6:54 pm
From: Emilie Danna <emilie.danna...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Short-eared Owl and Phainopepla at Stanford Dish Trail
Thanks Adam for sharing the location of the Phainopepla! I saw it this
afternoon around 4pm in a similar location: 37.411716, -122.185391 at the
top of an oak tree with a lot of mistletoe, and also on the lone tree on
the other side of the trail. See photo attached.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM Adam Burnett <adamburnett33...> wrote:

> At about 5:05 PM today, I saw a SHORT-EARED OWL at the Stanford Dish
> Trail. It was hunting over a field near the easternmost extent of the trail
> (here: 37.406,-122.166), and was still putting on a show when I left 15
> minutes later.
>
> Another big highlight was the continuing immature male PHAINOPEPLA found
> here by Sergey Pavlov on the Palo Alto Christmas Bird Count. He saw it near
> the Dish itself, but today it was at (37.41098,-122.19045), along the spur
> trail leading down to the Piers Lane gate, about 500 feet downhill of the
> cattle grate where the trail crosses the fence, and about 0.4 miles
> uphill from the parking area along Alpine Road. The bird was perching
> conspicuously on top of oaks and other small trees, sometimes right next to
> the trail.
>
> Other notable birds included a flock of 9 LARK SPARROWS along the same
> Piers Lane spur trail, a hooting GREAT HORNED OWL, and a singing CALIFORNIA
> THRASHER. My eBird list has more details and some poor photos:
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S78751582
>
> Adam Burnett
> Stanford

View/Reply Online (#23415): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23415