Date: 1/7/21 6:43 pm
Subject: NC Varied Thrush and Vermillion Flycatcher 1/7/21
Successful chases today with both Varied Thrush in Cary, NC and Vermillion
Flycatcher in Martin County, NC. The Varied Thrush was seen by some birders
from Hillsborough at 9:10 AM, and again by me at 9:50 AM. Excellent views!

The Vermillion Flycatcher has been in the pastures off Long Branch Rd. for
the past four days, according to the family member who spoke with me. Pretty
much the same area Jim Gould saw it on Monday. The bird was an easy find
once I got to where the horses were feeding. I picked up a second lifer here
while looking around, an immature White-crowned Sparrow further down
Cloverleaf Rd., across from the chicken coop, feeding on the ground near
some Song Sparrows.

Good day for chasing. The pair of Great Horned Owls near my yard are making
a lot of noise tonight.

Michael Cheves
New Bern, NC

Join us on Facebook!