Date: 1/7/21 12:50 pm
From: Carol Joan Patterson <0000003a0ccbe138-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Wired.com: A Bold Plan to Save the Last Whitebark Pines
Thanks for posting this Barry.  I just signed a petition to protect these trees, which take many years to mature.
I hope that several of you will visit the site.  When nature-lovers work together to assist other nature-lovers, nature is the ultimate winner.
On Thursday, December 24, 2020, 02:25:52 PM CST, Barry Haas <bhaas...> wrote:

Dear ARBIRDers,
Many of us are sequestered for the most part due to Covid, and looking for interesting articles related to birds.  Here’s a snip from an article I came across:
"Whitebark pine regenerates almost exclusively thanks to the Clark's nutcracker, a gray and black bird with a long, sharp-tipped bill. Nutcrackers are foresters with wings, harvesting ivory seeds from cones, storing them in a throat pouch, and then flying as far as 20 miles away to bury them in caches of four or five seeds to get them through the winter. Each bird hides tens of thousands of seeds in thousands of locations, and, naturally, they forget where some of them are, essentially planting new whitebark colonies. But as the tree continues to decline across its range, fewer seeds are borne by nutcrackers, reducing the species' regeneration."
Here’s a link to the article "A Bold Plan to Save the Last Whitebark Pines”:
https://tinyurl.com/yapdvavx
From the deep woods just west of Little Rock,Barry Haas

To unsubscribe from the ARBIRD-L list, click the following link:

or click the following link: