Date: 1/7/21 5:59 am
From: Doug Jenness <dougjenness...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]Santa Cruz Flats Crested Caracaras
External Email

1/7/21

Yesterday, at the Santa Cruz Flats south of Eloy, I found 73 CRESTED
CARACARAS in several locations. The largest group was 41 at flooded cotton
fields west of Pearce and Sunland Gin roads. They have also been
frequenting harvested cotton fields along Sasco Rd. west of the Red Rock
feedlot and west of Picacho Hwy between Baumgartner and Curtis roads.
Cattle are foraging in the latter fields, which attracts the caracaras.

My impression is that sparrow numbers are also very high, especially as
expected around irrigation ditches and canals.

Doug Jenness
Tucson, AZ