Date: 1/6/21 4:48 pm
Subject: Trip Summary Chasing Rarities in VA

Greetings all

I know that this day’s trip was in Virginia but during the last year in my travels birding in North Carolina and meeting many new birding friends that told me how much they enjoyed reading my trip reports, so this one is for them and for anyone else that might read it.

I started this morning at 0300 hrs taking my med and waiting an hour before breakfast and by 0515 hrs starting my first leg of an all day chasing, first a Harris Sparrow in Culpepper Co a 2h 45 min drive. After reaching the location and walking up and down the road and after 90 minutes of looking I found the Harris and just in time before I froze stiff boy was it cold.

Having driven just a short distance I came up on some ponds and was looking at the ducks and geese and found 2 Snow Geese Rare for the county.

My next leg of the trip was a 2.5 hr drive to James City Co near Williamsburg to look for the Western Meadowlark with was seen in some fields with Eastern Meadowlarks. Although you can walk around some of the fields others you could look straight up the rows of stubbles. But after 90 minutes of freezing again no luck with the Meadowlark

Then I had to face the 2.75 hr drive home and arriving at 1715 hrs a 12 hr 500 mile day.

jeffblalock
eBird Checklist Summary for: Jan 6, 2021

Number of Checklists: 3
Number of Taxa: 24

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): stakeout Harris's Sparrow, Locust Dale Road (2020-2021)
Date: Jan 6, 2021 at 8:05 AM
(2): 9079 Locust Dale Rd, Rapidan US-VA (38.3269,-78.0808)
Date: Jan 6, 2021 at 9:45 AM
(3): Mainland Farm/Drummond's Field
Date: Jan 6, 2021 at 12:30 PM

2 Snow Goose -- (2)
1260 Canada Goose -- (1),(2),(3)
1 Mallard -- (2)
5 Hooded Merganser -- (2)
11 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) -- (1)
35 Mourning Dove -- (1)
1 Great Blue Heron (Blue form) -- (2)
14 Black Vulture -- (3)
16 Turkey Vulture -- (1),(3)
1 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1)
1 Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) -- (1)
1 Eastern Phoebe -- (3)
4 Blue Jay -- (1),(3)
31 American Crow -- (1),(3)
1 Common Raven -- (1)
2 Carolina Wren -- (1)
7 Eastern Bluebird -- (1),(3)
1 American Robin -- (1)
2 White-crowned Sparrow -- (1)
1 Harris's Sparrow -- (1)
5 White-throated Sparrow -- (1)
8 Savannah Sparrow -- (3)
5 Song Sparrow -- (1),(2)
20 Northern Cardinal -- (1),(2)

This trip summary was created using the eBird app for iPhone and iPad.
See eBird for more information.

From my iPhone

Go Birding be Safe

May God Bless and Keep You