Date: 1/6/21 2:31 pm
From: nancyschumann27 via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] house finch eye disease
I didn't see any infected eyes, but the food in my feeder got moldy after that big rainstorm. I threw the whole thing out.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Jackson Smith via CTBirds <ctbirds...> Date: 1/6/21 4:59 PM (GMT-05:00) To: <ctbirds...> Subject: [CT Birds] house finch eye disease Last week I had a couple of house finches at my feeder who clearly hadhouse finch eye disease (one eye swollen shut). I took my feeder down forthree days and washed it thoroughly and then put it back up on Sundaymorning. Since then I've closely watched the house finches and beenrelieved to see that all the new visitors appeared to be healthy. However,this afternoon I noticed a finch with an eye swollen shut. I took my feederdown again, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to dowhen sick finches keep visiting a feeder. Should I take it down for longerthan three days? Or is it best to keep taking it down for a few days eachtime I see a sick finch?Jackson SmithWooster Square, New Haven_______________________________________________This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org