Date: 1/6/21 1:59 pm
From: Jackson Smith via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] house finch eye disease
Last week I had a couple of house finches at my feeder who clearly had
house finch eye disease (one eye swollen shut). I took my feeder down for
three days and washed it thoroughly and then put it back up on Sunday
morning. Since then I've closely watched the house finches and been
relieved to see that all the new visitors appeared to be healthy. However,
this afternoon I noticed a finch with an eye swollen shut. I took my feeder
down again, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to do
when sick finches keep visiting a feeder. Should I take it down for longer
than three days? Or is it best to keep taking it down for a few days each
time I see a sick finch?

Jackson Smith
Wooster Square, New Haven