Date: 1/6/21 12:32 pm
From: Frank Vanslager via groups.io <Vanslagerf...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] The Great Horned Owl Continues at Elm Picnic Area of Ed Levin on 1/6/2021
All:

On this cold morning I though I would visit Ed Levin to see if I might find the Great Horned Owl in the same tree where I posted photos of it on 11/12/2020 and 12/16/2020.  Sure enough, at 8:16 I found it in its usual tree.  (See the first Photo).  At that time, I heard noises above me, and looking straight up I found a Downy, a Hairy, and a Nuttall's Woodpecker, all vigorously feeding in the top of the Pine tree!  While still looking at them, I heard a Northern Flicker calling somewhere behind me!

Walking back on the asphalt path I detoured up to the top of the dam, where I spotted an Osprey perched in the top of a tree.  (See second photo).  Some time later, the Osprey flew right over me carrying a large fish which it had positioned so that it was heading right into the wind in order to minimize air resistance.

When I drove up past the Sandy Wool Lake I stopped to photograph a Merlin which was eating something.  (See the third photo).

Frank Vanslager

View/Reply Online (#23400): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23400
-=-=-

-=-=-