Date: 1/6/21 1:20 am
From: Joe Morlan <jmorlan...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Cinnamon Teal (Spatula cyanoptera)
03 January 2021. Phelps Slough, Redwood Shores, Redwood City, California,
USA.

Note the powder blue wing coverts visible in the open wing. This striking
duck breeds primarily in freshwater ponds and wetlands in Western North
America south of the Prairie Pothole region. Its North American population
has been estimated at fewer than 300,000 making it one of our least common
dabbling ducks. In the Bay Area, these birds are primarily migrants,
especially in the Spring, but they also winter locally.

Additional photos:
https://macaulaylibrary.org/catalog?taxonCode=cintea&view=Grid&subId=S78597494

Here is a short video of two males chasing a third:
https://youtu.be/EkGa8I3bEHU

Stay well!
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt