Date: 1/5/21 7:20 pm
From: Adam Burnett <adamburnett33...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Short-eared Owl and Phainopepla at Stanford Dish Trail
At about 5:05 PM today, I saw a SHORT-EARED OWL at the Stanford Dish Trail. It was hunting over a field near the easternmost extent of the trail (here: 37.406,-122.166), and was still putting on a show when I left 15 minutes later.

Another big highlight was the continuing immature male PHAINOPEPLA found here by Sergey Pavlov on the Palo Alto Christmas Bird Count. He saw it near the Dish itself, but today it was at (37.41098,-122.19045), along the spur trail leading down to the Piers Lane gate, about 500 feet downhill of the cattle grate where the trail crosses the fence, and about 0.4 miles uphill from the parking area along Alpine Road. The bird was perching conspicuously on top of oaks and other small trees, sometimes right next to the trail.

Other notable birds included a flock of 9 LARK SPARROWS along the same Piers Lane spur trail, a hooting GREAT HORNED OWL, and a singing CALIFORNIA THRASHER. My eBird list has more details and some poor photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S78751582 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S78751582>

Adam Burnett
Stanford

View/Reply Online (#23398): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23398
-=-=-