Date: 1/5/21 2:43 pm
From: Joe Parker <jandkparker...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Green-tailed Towhee, Tropical Kingbird & Glaucous Gull
The GREEN-TAILED TOWHEE was visible this morning on the Calero Trail. It was foraging just outside the treeline on the opposite side of the trail from the orchard. There was a California Towhee in the area but they were not interacting and there were no crowned sparrows around.

The TROPICAL KINGBIRD finally put in an appearance at the Geng Rd. Pond in Palo Alto. I saw it perched on one of the blue-topped stakes at the south end of the pond.

Finally, the immature GLAUCOUS GULL was just settling down with the gull flock at the New Chicago Marsh in Alviso. It was lying down but fortunately had not put its head in so I got a good look at the dark-tipped beak on an immense pure-white gull. I was wondering how I was going to pick it out from amongst so many gulls, but it really stands out once you see it.

A red-letter day of birding for me. One of the few times I have actually seen all of the rare birds I was seeking.

Kathy Parker
Los Gatos

View/Reply Online (#23395): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23395
-=-=-