Date: 1/5/21 1:13 pm
From: Ben Pearl <bpearl...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] [pen-bird] Snowy Plover (Charadrius nivosus)
Hi Joe and all,

Thank you very much for the sighting! Although many of the Snowy Plovers
we color band also winter in the SF Bay, some disperse across the coast
each year during winter (and they sometimes decide to breed elsewhere).
Understanding where they go to is vital information that helps us to better
understand Snowy Plover survival, migration, and use of habitat across the
Pacific Coast. If you ever observe a color banded Snowy Plover on the
Pacific Coast, you can send your sightings to
<snpl_bandreporting...> , which is a listserv that goes
directly to all Snowy Plover banders across the Pacific Coast. You will
get a quick response from the bander with the history of the banded bird(s)
observed, and we will get this important data much faster than if reported
to the USGS Bird Banding Laboratory.

I appreciate your sharing additional information about Snowy Plovers,
however I wanted to provide a bit of clarification since it can get a
little confusing. The Pacific Coast Population of Western Snowy
Plovers (*Charadrius
nivosus nivosus*), which are found adjacent to tidal waters of the Pacific
within 50 miles of the coast, are a Distinct Population Segment listed by
the USFWS as Threatened under the Endangered Species Act (ESA). There is
also an interior population of Snowy Plovers that breed in the Central
Valley, Great Basin, and Southern Plains, and many of these birds also
winter on the Pacific Coast. However, research has shown that there is
close to zero movement of individuals between the coastal and interior
populations during the breeding season, and thus they are considered
distinct populations. The interior population is not currently listed
under the Federal ESA, though it is listed on some states' ESA and may
warrant federal listing in the near future.The IUCN list, which classifies
Snowy Plovers as Near Threatened, does not consider the lack of gene flow
between the two populations, and thus considers them to be one population.

Cheers,
Ben

--
Ben Pearl, M.S.