Date: 1/5/21 8:54 am
From: Harry Armistead <harryarmistead...>
Subject: [va-bird] wildlife in Osprey & Bald Eagle nests
BALD EAGLE NESTS: GRAY SQUIRREL HABITAT?

Bierregaard

Reese

Poole

Mitchell Byrd (surface mail)

Watts

Therres

PA fish & game

DE “

NJ “

Broley books

HTA BAEA & OSPR books

Bill Clark

Bildstein

VA-BIRD

MDOSPREY

GLA

HLW & LMD

Scarpulla

Bill Williams

Whitbeck, Matt

Holger Pflicke

Reese Lukei

Rudy Cashwell

Hi, I’m considering writing an article - IF enough information is forthcoming - on the use of Bald Eagle nests in the Middle Atlantic Region by Gray Squirrels.

Last year George L. Armistead & I saw GRSQs in 2 BAEA nests, the only such nests we examined. GLA photographed a GRSQ in “his” nest, in NE Philadelphia. “My” nest was on our property in Talbot County, MD.

Above you will see the list of contacts I have, rather hastily, created. Please let me know of any others that might be helpful.

Perhaps a GRSQ sees a BAEA nest as a potential or actual drey.

Please let me know your experience with this possibility, or lack of it.

I plan to publish the results, if there are any, in Maryland Birdlife, or, if this turns out to be widespread, submit it to the Auk or the Condor. Many thanks for your experiences or ideas.

Also of interest, although secondarily, is the use of Osprey nests, especially those offshore, by House Sparrows, something I have seen numerous times.

Needless to say, full attribution of any information you send will be duly acknowledged, IF a publication results. If it doesn’t, I’ll acknowledge what ever you send informally anyway.

Henry (“Harry) T. Armistead, 8 S. Letitia St., Apt. 202, Philadelphia, PA 19106-3025. 215.913.4785 (mobile phone; seldom used).

<bird...> To unsubscribe, send email to