Date: 1/5/21 1:53 am
From: Joe Morlan <jmorlan...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Snowy Plover (Charadrius nivosus)
02 January 2021. Pigeon Point, California, USA.

I was covering my area for the Ano Nuevo Christmas Bird Count when I took
this photo. Notice the colored bands on this bird's legs. Ben Pearl of the
San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory advised me that he banded this
individual as a chick in Mountain View California on 05 August 2020 and
that its whereabouts were unknown until I took this photo. Thus it moved
from San Francisco Bay flying over the Santa Cruz Mountains to the Pacific
Coast, more than 25 miles from where it was hatched. Ben called it "ko:ag"
(black over orange on left, aqua over green on right) and provided a photo
of it as a chick which he kindly allowed me to use...

https://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/SnowyPloverChick.htm

This vulnerable species is classified as "Near Threatened." It was formerly
lumped with the similar Kentish Plover (Charadrius alexandrinus) of
Eurasia.

Additional photo:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/293772601

Stay well!
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt