Date: 1/4/21 5:58 pm
From: Robert Hunt <zapata86303...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: KVOA Twitter video of Black-throated Magpie Jay in Tucson
External Email

I have seen them east of Hermosillo several times in years past.
Rob Hunt, Ph.D.
"Whatever you do will seem insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." (Mahatma Gandhi)

On Monday, January 4, 2021, 06:21:27 PM MST, Roger Uzun <rogeruzun...> wrote:

External Email

Black-Throated Magpie jays are fairly common around Alamos, Sonora MX. They are probably common a little ways north of Alamos as well.
-Roger Uzun

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Lyndie Mason Warner <lmasonwarner...> wrote:

External Email

We've had a White-throated Magpie-Jay in Verrado (Buckeye, AZ) since 2017. He escaped from the Wildlife World Zoo in Litchfield park the year before that. I was told by reviewers that the furthest north these birds would be considered normal migration is Puerta Vallerta.
Lyndie Mason WarnerBuckeye, AZ 85396

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10...> wrote:

External Email

On Jan 4, 2021, at 1:28 PM, Mark Stevenson <drbrdr99...> wrote:

I am not sure that likelihood percentages can made.  I remember the small flock at a rural address near Nogales, now many years ago. A  BT Magpie Jay would be a difficult bid to smuggle across the border, and there might not be much incentive to do so.   Birds like this that could get to the Tucson area from Mexico might be evaluated differently if their normal range was within he US, whether further north, east or west.  If it is an escaped cage bird, perhaps it escaped not far south of the Mexican border.

Jeff Gilligan

External Email

Most likely an escapee rather than a naturally occurring vagrant, but that's a statement of probability not certainty.
Mark StevensonTucson, AZ
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021, 11:39 AM Brian Jones <ravenwolf121...> wrote:

External Email

I just got a video story on my Twitter feed of a Black-throated Magpie Jay in Tucson. No info on what part of town.
Anyone hear of this?

For the birds!
Brian JonesTucson, AZ
--------
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.

To view archive: click "Archive" on that page. Home Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds