Date: 1/4/21 5:39 pm
From: Sharon Goldwasser <azfiddle...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] [EXT]SEAZ: KVOA Twitter video of Black-throated Magpie Jay in Tucson
External Email

I’m inclined to agree with Mark that it probably isn’t a wild bird. I remember the birds in Nogales, and there was general agreement at that time that they were not there on their own steam.

They live in thorn scrub habitat. The closest location shown on ebird is Hermosillo (about 240 miles south of Tucson) and then near Tecoripa, Sonora, about 300 miles south. Birds of Sonora might have more information about the range of Magpie Jays in N. Sonora and indicate if they have been seen further north, but I don’t have a copy. They are not regular long-distance migrants.

They are definitely cool birds- the Spanish name I’ve heard for them is Urraca, related to the sounds they make. I used see them annually in Sinaloa and Nayarit when I ran the Christmas count there in the 1980’s.

That’s my 2 cents worth.

Sharon Goldwasser