Date: 1/4/21 9:34 am
From: Cliff Cook <ccook13...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Fwd: eBird -- Royalston Town Center -- Jan 3, 2021
We drove out to Royalston yesterday morning hoping for winter finches and
were not disappointed. When I opened the car door I could hear Evening
Grosbeaks calling from every direction. Within minutes we had a flock of
40+ in one tree and another flock of 25+ visible nearby at the same time.
While I estimated 90 birds in all there could well have been many more.
The best looks were had at a house with feeders on Northeast Fitzwilliam
Road just north of the center of town. The house will be obvious and the
inhabitants quite friendly. This is also where we had the flock of 25
Siskins all in view at once on the ground. The Red Crossbills were a
flyover heading northwest earlier in the morning. The Pine Grosbeaks were
picking grit off the road on North Fitzwilliam Road near the houses there.
For reasons I don't understand these birds all disappeared from eBird
alerts yesterday so I thought people should find out about them. if you go
you can park in a small lot by the public library. Also noteworthy was a
group of about 15 Red Crossbills along the entrance road to Birch Hill Dam.

Before you grab your bins and head out west here is an article to read
about a bird that is causing a big stir in DC right now:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/01/03/painted-bunting-great-falls-bird-watchers/

Cliff Cook
Watertown

Royalston Town Center
Jan 3, 2021
8:30 AM
Traveling
2.00 miles
113 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 2.3 Build 2.3.7

12 Mourning Dove
1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- Very clear key-urrrr coming from mixed woods
twice. Top of N Fitzwilliam hill.
1 Red-tailed Hawk
4 Red-bellied Woodpecker
12 Downy Woodpecker
3 Hairy Woodpecker
65 Blue Jay
35 Black-capped Chickadee
15 Tufted Titmouse
8 Red-breasted Nuthatch
12 White-breasted Nuthatch
4 Brown Creeper
30 European Starling
10 House Sparrow
90 Evening Grosbeak -- Medium sized white yellow and brown birds with large
beaks. Everywhere around north end of town. Flocks of 25 and 40 south of
library. Group of 15 at intersection of N Fitzwilliam and NE Fitzwilliam.
Group of 10 at top of N Fitzwilliam hill.
2 Pine Grosbeak -- Two on road picking grit. Large beaks. Gray with pink
markings.
15 Red Crossbill -- Flyover group calling kip kip kip. Crossed bills
observed on a couple.
25 Pine Siskin
4 American Tree Sparrow
7 Dark-eyed Junco