Date: 1/4/21 7:35 am
Subject: Re: Deflated, but makes since and very glad to know th...
Thanks Mike and Kent
I have been wondering where our Buncombe County, NC Egyptian Geese have
been coming from and I doubt very much if there's a local wildfowl park
from where they keep escaping. Our local population varies a little, but
there are 4-6 birds around Lake Julian Park and at other localities in the
county. Birds have paired off, but no evidence of nesting has been
recorded.......yet!
As to where these birds are coming from; I doubt South Florida. I have
discovered there are lots of reports on eBird from Sparta in Central
Georgia. I believe there is a turf farm (not open for visitors) where there
have been over 20 birds reported on multiple occasions since 2017. It's
only 165 miles (as the goose flies) from Sparta to Asheville, so it's not
unreasonable to believe our birds originate from this GA population. It
would certainly be easier to find out this information if all of the
reports were in eBird from Georgia to the Carolinas. It's probably only a
matter of time before they are widespread throughout the southeast. I doubt
if they would have any problem with the weather here in the winter as they
are now common and widespread in most of western Europe.
I for one enjoy seeing them as they're an attractive addition to our local
avifauna.
Simon

Simon RB Thompson

Ventures Birding Tours
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.birdventures.com__;!!OToaGQ!_x1RyUkZHlDEfUnjec771p3mfLcNueIoK-HPPvikvKs71Je00Z-pK6T1z3xOPYskH8M$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.birdventures.com__;!!OToaGQ!_x1RyUkZHlDEfUnjec771p3mfLcNueIoK-HPPvikvKs71Je00Z-pK6T1z3xOPYskH8M$ >

Please use the Ventures e-mail (<Venturesbirding...>) to contact the
Ventures office - thanks!

Join us on Facebook!