Date: 1/4/21 4:40 am
From: Dana Fox <dana.fox1939...>
Subject: Re: [NHBirds] Bear in Durham
Ann and to any others having bear problems,
After having similar problems up at our summer camp in Tuftonboro, a friend
came up with a nifty idea. At a height higher than a bear could reach the
bottom of the longest bird feeder, he put a hook eye into a spruce tree and
hung an opened up old fashioned wire clothesline - the type that was a
continuous loop that you could move and had a loop at each end . He then
put a hook into another tree maybe 20 feet away at the same height and then
ran the wire clothesline down the second tree, inserted a new hook at a
height you can reach and hooked the other end of the clothesline onto it.
It is then all held tightly..
So when you release the lower end of the clothesline, the line drops down.
Hang feeders along the wire so that none are within reach of another tree
or a building. Pull the clothesline up and hook in on the lower hook and
you then will have feeders held high enough that a bear cannot reach them
and ones you can drop down to fill.
Here in MA we have used a dog line set up in a similar fashion.
Let me know if you need more info,
Dana Duxbury-Fox
North Andover MA and Tuftonboro NH