Date: 1/3/21 7:12 pm
From: Eric <ericschuette...>
Subject: Cannon NWR CBC-results

Hello all,

The Cannon CBC was held on Dec 21st this year to warm temps, sunshine, and a lot of wind. Fortunately, the wind didn't keep all the birds down and we ended the day with a circle record 105 species! Our previous high was 100/101 so the effort of all those who participated really paid off. We had a few more participants this year than the last few years, even during the Covid-19 pandemic that we are grateful for, which allowed us to cover a few more areas more thoroughly than usual. So a huge thank you to everyone who was able to come up and safely help us out!

As mentioned we ended the day with 105 species and no additional count week birds. Of the 105, two were new for the count, an expected Great Egret and much less expected Long-Billed Dowitcher (found by Bill R and Tommy G). Also of note were the counts second Indigo Bunting (again found by Bill and Tommy), Sandhill Cranes, 4 species of shorebirds (a count high), 23 species of waterfowl including all geese species even with a recent freeze, marsh wren, and a number of species that can sometimes be difficult for us to find in the circle (like western meadowlark, lincolns sparrow, screech-owl, pine siskin, least sandpipers, and pelicans).

Thanks again to all that came up to help us on count day or provided intel beforehand, its greatly appreciated! Hope everyone stays safe and has a great 2021

Cheers
Eric Schuette
Denver CO/Troy MO