Date: 1/3/21 6:02 pm
From: scompton1251 <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Deflated, but makes since and very glad to know th...
I have Egyptian Goose on both my ABA life list and eBird based on sighting in Kendall,  Florida, where they are established. They are not yet established anywhere in the Carolinas, but it could happen one day. Waterfowl are the most vexing bird group to state list committees. As we see with the astonishing presence of a Whooper Swan in South Carolina, the question of provenance is very hard to sort out. Steve ComptonGreenville, SC Sent from my Verizon LG Smartphone------ Original message------From: Wayne HoffmanDate: Sun, Jan 3, 2021 8:02 PMTo: kent fiala;Cc: carolinabirds;Subject:Re: Deflated, but makes since and very glad to know th...Hi -

I believe Egyptian Geese are included on the ABA Checklist as established exotics because of a fairly large breeding population in Texas, and maybe in Florida as well. I saw them in multiple locations near San Antonio in 2018. I do not know whether ABA accepts records from other states. But clearly, this is a species with the potential to
establish breeding populations in this country.

Many years ago a drive-thru "Safari" zoo in Oregon had a substantial population and did not pinion all the young. some flew out and began nesting on gravel bars in the nearby Umpqua River. It is my understanding that state game biologists concluded they were unwelcome exotics and eliminated all the free-living ones. In any case, this demonstrates they are capable of surviving winters at least as sever as NC winters, so these geese deserve monitoring to see if they spread and increase in numbers.

Wayne Hoffman
Wilmington