Date: 1/3/21 12:26 pm
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Penacook Survey - nearly a finch sweep
The year's been off to a great start so far, and this morning's Penacook
Survey set another record: 34 species is the highest January total ever (I'm
now in its 16th year), solidly edging out the previous high of 32 (or only
31 for the first third of the month). On the downside, this is going to make
it that much harder to get new records later this month - although there
were a couple of things I missed. The highlights, as per the subject line,
were winter finches., to whit:

6 Evening Grosbeaks along Fowler St. (second to last add for the walk)

8 Pine Grosbeaks in the Thirty Pines area

66 Common Redpolls (~65 at Murray Farms feeding in birches, but the light
was not at all conducive for Hoary searching)

1 Red Crossbill flyover at Murray Farms (a somewhat reliable location for
the last couple of months)

2 White-winged Crossbill flyovers (Bog Road and 30 Pines)

7 Pine Siskins along River Road

Only "regular" species missing was Purple Finch, and I haven't seen one in
almost two weeks (there was a female at my feeder on either side of the
Concord CBC).

Other highlights included the continued onslaught of RB Nuthatches (36
today) and my first Song Sparrow on the route since Nov 21.

Good birding!

Pam Hunt

Penacook

"The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed
the world."

- Alexander von Humboldt