Date: 1/3/21 9:07 am
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Newmarket 1/3
Birders
I made stops this morning at Mastin Dr and the Elm Street cemetery, both off Packers Falls Road. Mastin has fruit trees at the cul de sac that sometimes draw grosbeaks, but no luck today. On the other hand, the catbird was still present where Follett's Brook passes under Mastin, eating berries right next to the bridge. As I was enjoying watching it, a fox trotted by, sending most of the winged things into a tizzy (that's a scientific definition by the way). I walked back along the brook hoping for the winter wren that vacations back there, and, I'm embarrassed to say, I was actually disappointed when the call note I heard turned out to be two red crossbills and not a winter wren.

I then went over to the cemetery where I found a very skittish flock of 20 White-winged Crossbills moving in the treetops along the river. Also present on Elm Street were 3 Red-winged Blackbirds. I did not notice any other wing colors on other birds.

Kurk Dorsey
Durham