Date: 1/2/21 11:02 pm
From: Paul Conover <zoiseaux...>
Subject: Re: [labird] New EBR Big Year Record
Matt, All,

      276 is amazing and it's been fun to watch the crazy stuff Dan has
been finding and seeing.

      My highest in Cameron was 299 or 300 in 2011, but it was only at
the end of that year when I saw that I was at 293 on eBird that I gave
it much thought and realized that there were common birds I'd seen that
I hadn't thought about submitting lists for, so the exact total is lost
in the drifting sands. I'm guessing Cardiff/Dittmann/Remsen have all
topped that at some point.

      Personally, I was more astounded when Rob Dobbs recorded 257
species in Lafayette Parish in 2016. There are only about 310 species on
the parish list, the parish is tiny, there are no sizeable water bodies,
and the rural parts of the parish are getting more developed by the
year, so that total was impressive.

      Likewise I recall the epic battle between David and Phillip back
when. That was a gripping story to watch unfold as it neared the finish
line.

      So, major congrats to Dan. When the world gets back to normal he
might find himself in a place where he can see 276 species in a week,
but at least he got something memorable in a positive way out of 2020.

Paul Conover

Lafayette