Date: 1/2/21 6:03 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] January 2nd: More "FOY" birds
Cricket and I set out again this morning, trying to find some of our 2021 year birds—the ones we just didn’t have enough daylight to search for yesterday. We began at the Sunnyvale Community Center to search for the Snow Geese Mike Rogers had reported but were not rewarded. There were no Geese at all in fact, but as we left four flew in and no Snows among them. Perhaps another visit will turn out different. We did fine however a female COMMON MERGANSER, a small flock of CEDAR WAXWINGS.

We then went to Sunnyvale WPCP Pond A4 where we added a number of birds to our growing list. GREATER SCAUP, RED-BREASTED MERGANSER, WESTERN and CLARK’S GREBE, and a small group of GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES. We were intent on finding the Common Loon, so we scoped the far shore (maybe a half mile away!) where I had seen it during the Christmas Bird Count, but to no avail. We did that for about 20 minutes… As we were about to leave disappointed the COMMON LOON surfaced about 20 feet from us… hmmmm. I love I when it works out that way.

Next we visited Lick Mill Park to search for the HERMIT WARBLER, which obliged us with views after 3 minutes of searching in the pines beside the tennis court. We also found 4 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES here. Ulistac Natural Area provided our First-Of-Year TOWNSEND’S WARBLER in a huge flowering eucalyptus near the utility enclosure.

Cricket had to peel off and do some school work so I continued to Palo Alto Baylands where the tide was rising. SORA and VIRGINIA RAIL called almost immediately after I arrived to the big round bush beside the runway—the place where Swamp Sparrow is often found. I did not find the Swamp Sparrow however… Instead I saw a PEREGRIN FALCON, an adult BALD EAGLE, and a lot of loud planes. In the distance I saw Barry and Ginger Landgon-Lassagne at the San Francisco Creek mouth. I called Barry’s cell and we waved to each other from where we stood. On the lagoon, actually before the water had risen, I saw a number of “FOY” Shorebirds including WHIMBREL.

Stay healthy everyone!

Matthew

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director