Date: 1/2/21 5:09 pm
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [pen-bird] Dowitcher id?
Peter

It is not all that reliable to identify dowitchers in winter based on photos. Over or under exposure can create a look that favors one or the other, although I am not convinced that coloration helps much in winter. Bill size and shape is a good pointer. One of the best features to go on is habitat in winter, Short-bills take tidal habitats, Long-bills fresh water or brackish/standing water.

Top bird has a very long bill that is straight and relatively thin at the base, so I would call that one a Long-billed. The other two I would pass.

Alvaro

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>

www.alvarosadventures.com